Minutes - 14th January

Gorsley & Kilcot Parish Council

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 14th January 2019 at 7.30pm

in Upper Room Christ Church Gorsley

Present: Cllr. David Clough (Vice Chairman), Cllr. Graham Price, Cllr Catherine Gardner, Cllr. Claire Barker, and Cllr Nigel Poole,

In attendance: Mrs Margaret Highton (Clerk) and two members of the public

In absence of Cllr. Nigel Warwick, Cllr. David Clough as Vice Chairman chaired the meeting.

  1. Apologies for absence:

The Centenary Glade Project – Queens Wood- Chris Bligh (Programme Director DyFRA) addressed the Parish Council on this Project. The Centenary Glade Project seeks to extend collaboration between the Forestry Commission of England and a group of community organisations, parish councils, and land management professionals under the umbrella of Dymock Forest Rural Action (DyFRA). The aim is to create an exemplar site for Ancient Woodland management, for the benefit of

  • public forestry in a climate-changed world
  • retaining local forestry skills and rebuild the rural economy
  • sustained community engagement with landscape as an Eco resource

It is being linked with 3 centenaries (there are more. e.g. WI,)

  • 100th anniversary of the Forestry Commission who manage our ancient daffodil woodlands;
  • Sale to the local community of Earl Beauchamp’s Kempley, Fishpool, Much Marcle , Dymock, & Redmarley Estates; (Kempley Tardis project of 2009)
  • Signing of the Versailles Peace Treaty – end of the Great War – and the village war memorial names.

In 2019, we plan to mark these events with something special: - a community engagement project conserving ancient woodland, in full collaboration with the Forestry Commission England.

Together, on March 1st 2019, St David’s Day, we will welcome visitors to explore The Centenary Glade at Queens Wood, Forestry Commission Dymock Car Park Dymock Woods (GL18 2BN).

We are asking each of the 4 primary schools to bring along a class, plus local WI’s, walking groups etc. and together we will plant 500 shrub plants on the site. Each of the 6 parishes will be represented, and we will endeavour to make the plantings village specific, so that in later years we can memorialise the end of the Great War, with the passage of 100 years of public forestry, to instil an awareness of the need for public policy and community support to reverse the effects of climate change and biodiversity decline.

The project has a ten year proposed establishment phase, and we hope it will lead to a considerable linkage of local communities around our Dymock Forest - focused around a landscape in which we live, work and breathe.

It has been shown that anywhere in the world, environmental protection can only come about through local engagement, o the ground involvement, and a will to maintain our landscape heritage. To which there must be tangible benefits to the community –certainly improved lifestyle, and to sustain this benefits to the rural economy

Chris Bligh left the meeting

  1. 2.Public Session: The landowner of Orchard House talked about her planning application and explained it to the Councillors. She then left the meeting.

  1. Declaration of Interest: None

  1. 4.Requests for Dispensations: There had been no requests.

  1. 5.Minutes

  1. Report from the Clerk on actions requested in the Minutes of 3rd December not covered elsewhere in the agenda and Action Tracker: The Action Tracker had been circulated to all councillors. There was no Clerk’s Report.

  1. 7.Matters relating to the New Clerk:
    1. a)New Clerk applications: Four applications had been received and circulated to all Councillors. After a discussion, it was decided to ask two of the applicants to an interview. Cllr. David Clough asked the Clerk to ensure that pension arrangements in the contract were correct.
    2. b)Recruitment of New Clerk: It was decided that the interviewing Committee would consists of Cllr. Nigel Warwick, Cllr. David Clough and the Clerk and interviews would take place in the next two weeks.

  1. Date of next Full Parish Council Meeting: As the Clerk will be on holiday on 4th March, the meeting agreed that the next meeting would be on Monday 25th February at 7.30pm. Cllr. David Clough gave his apologises.

  1. Date of Annual Parish Meeting: It was decided that this meeting would be held on Monday 25th March at 7.30pm in Christ Church Gorsley.
  1. Registration of Aston Common: Land Registry have refused to register Aston Common in the name of the parish Council as there is little proof that Gorsley & Kilcot Parish Council has looked after the Common for 10 years. Cllr. Nigel Warwick and the Clerk have composed a letter to Land Registry asking for clarification as the Parish Council have been told that they could not spend money on Aston Common as it is ownerless. This letter had been circulated to all councillors and it was agreed that it should be sent to the Land Registry. ACTION: Clerk to send letter.
  1. Letter re New Councillors: The Clerk had circulated an up to date copy and was given some suggestions for the “What has the Parish Council done in past 19 years” section. Clerk would check election dates with Forest of Dean District Council. Letter to be distributed around 11th February. ACTION: Clerk to finalise letter and distribute by either email, post or by Councillors delivery.
  1. Work done on Kilcot Green: It had been noted that the neighbouring landowner had gone onto Kilcot Green to fence in his own property without advising Gorsley & Kilcot Parish Council. This had resulted in the vegetation cleared being left on the Kilcot Green. It was agreed a letter should be sent to the landowner. ACTION: Clerk to send letter

  1. 13.B4221 and related Matters:
    1. a)Responses from Andrew Middlecote re Highway Matters and Parish Roads Review: It was noted that nothing significantly had been done although the Clerk had been informed that work on the grid at B4221/Burrups Lane junction would be done in February. ACTION: Clerk to write to Andrew Middlecote.
    2. b) Work done on drainage issues at Kilcot Cross: Some work was done in December on a Sunday morning however Cllr. Nigel Warwick will be monitoring the situation as there is still no gullies in Aston Ingham Road: ACTION: Cllr. Nigel Warwick to monitor situation
    3. c)Lack of progress by Gloucestershire County Council implementing the LTP:
  2. 14.Financial Matters:
    1. a)Payments made in the last two months and accounts to be paid: proposed and Cllr. Nigel Poole seconded, and it was agreed unanimously that the payments on the sheet attached to these minutes could be made in accordance with the budget.
    2. b)Precept – 2019/2020: After a discussion, Cllr. David Clough proposed and Cllr Nigel Poole seconded and it was agreed unanimously that the precept should be raised by 3% to

£ 5547.

  1. 15.Planning Matters:
    1. Planning Application: Orchard House, Aston Ingham Road, Kilcot - Erection of single storey sunroom, first floor extension to create additional bedroom, installation of Velux windows to kitchen and erection of oak framed canopy with associated works. Demolition of existing conservatory: After a discussion, it was agreed that the Parish Council response would be “No Objections”.
    2. Planning Application at Lover’s Walk Gorsley: Linton PC had advised the Parish Council that this application was going to Herefordshire Council Planning Committee on 23rd January. After a discussion, it was decided that the same objection letter should be sent with two additional comments; Gorsley & Kilcot Parish Council do not feel that there is a need for any new bus stops and Gorsley & Kilcot Parish Council feel that the death of a Gorsley Herefordshire parishioner crossing the B4221 near to the proposed site entry should be considered in the Committee’s deliberations.
    3. Enforcement matters: No progress on Box Bush Barns. Enforcement Officer would be visiting Mr Harper’s field this week. A site visit on the land opposite The Poplar’s would be done soon and the Clerk was asked to remind Mr Chapman about the open ditch between the hedge and the road.

  1. Standing Orders: Standing Orders had been circulated to all councillors. Cllr. Graham Price proposed, Cllr Nigel Poole seconded, and it was agreed unanimously that the Standing Orders could be reviewed without amendment.

  1. Financial Risks: All documents had been circulated to all Councillors. Cllr. Graham Price proposed, Cllr Nigel Poole seconded, and it was agreed unanimously that the Financial Risk assessment, Council Diary and Financial Regulations could be reviewed without amendment.

  1. 18.Information available from the Council Policy: The document had been circulated to all Councillors. Cllr. Nigel Poole proposed, Cllr Catherine Gardner seconded, and it was agreed unanimously that the Information available from the Council Policy could be reviewed without amendment.

  1. Items for the next meeting’s agenda:
    1. a)Internal Auditor Appointment
    2. b)Severn Trent Closure of B4215
    3. c)Three Shires Stages Rally

  1. Councillors’ and Clerk’s submissions – for information only: The Clerk was asked to look at the development taking place in Ford Lane to ensure it is in line with the planning permission.

 

As there was no further business, the meeting was closed.

These minutes will be approved at the next Parish Council Meeting

Clerk to Parish Council

Margaret Highton
01531 820245
Mobile: 07581 312585
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Chairman

Nigel Warwick
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.